1200 in 2011

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Week 12 Re-Cap

Okay, so up until Saturday and Sunday (see My Insane Weekend Parts I & II) Week 12 was a bit "ho-hum." That was entirely intentional, though, as I knew I would need every last ounce of energy for the XTERRA Tri and Marathon. I did some running, but kept it pretty light knowing that I needed to keep my legs loose, but I didn't want them to be worn out. I also did some Yoga on a couple of days hoping that it would stretch me out a bit and relax my muscles. Considering the fact that I finished both of my races, I'd say I was pretty effective. If you didn't count the marathon and run portion of the XTERRA, I only ran about 14 miles with 6 miles being my longest pre-race run. Including the XTERRA and marathon in my totals, it was a very good week for getting my mileage up (though both races KILLED my average pace).

My Week 12 Totals were:
Total Runs Logged: 6
Total Miles: 45.5
Total Time Spent Running: 7 hours, 18 minutes, 46 seconds
Average Pace: 9:39 (min/mile)...my XTERRA pace was 14:38 and my marathon pace was 9:35.

My New "as of" Totals are:
Total Runs Logged: 61
Total Miles: 386.6
Total Time Spent Running: 50 hours, 24 minutes, 36 seconds
Average Pace: 7:49 (min/mile)

REFLECTION TIME! When people find out I completed both the XTERRA Triathlon and Guam Marathon in the same weekend (actually within 25 hours), the response is consistently, "You're Crazy!" That's probably a fair assessment, and to be honest, I like it. Looking back, it's hard to say why I decided to do both, other than I thought it would be cool to say that I did it. Realistically without any professional training or coaching it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I think the fact that I did it on my own is important. People love to make excuses for why they can't don something challenging whether it be lack of equipment, training, know-how, or fitness. I am far from a professional, and if I was able to do both events, ANYONE is capable of doing one or the other. All it takes is a little will power and the determination to see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment