1200 in 2011

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Week 15 Re-Cap

Alright, the real "excitement" of Week 15 was me completing my first Duathlon (Run, Bike, Run) which I will blog about in my next entry (great pics included). Before I get to the race itself, I thought I would talk about the week in general. I met my weekly mileage goal, and did so without any really long runs. The longest was actually just over 7 miles. I did manage a little over 8 on Thursday, but that was broken up over 3 runs. Aside from the Duathlon which was a new event for me, I also ran for a short distance (3.7 miles) on a treadmill. It's been a long time since I've done that, and my primary reason for doing it was to get my speed up. As I had noticed the day before, and mentioned in my last post, I've been struggling with trying to get my speed up since I came back from Texas. I figured the best way to do that was to force myself to run faster on a treadmill. It definitely does the job, but I was definitely feeling it too, and it's clear I need to work on getting faster. It is a strong possibility I'll be using a treadmill in more of my workouts. That being said, still a good week for running.

My Totals for Week 15 were:
Total Runs Logged: 7
Total Miles: 26.07 (the 5Ks in the Duathlon weren't exactly 3.1 miles)
Total Time Spent Running: 3 hours, 14 minutes, 08 seconds
Average Pace: 7:27 (min/mile) (the race definitely helped improve my overall pace)

My new "as of" totals are:
Total Runs Logged: 79
Total Miles: 452.57
Total Time Spent Running: 58 hours, 49 minutes, 02 seconds
Average Pace: 7:48 (min/mile)

REFLECTION TIME: It's clear that for most people there will be some sacrifice in speed as you increase your distance. What I want to avoid is sacrificing too much speed. While I can run 1 mile in under 6 minutes, my real goal is to run 10+ miles in under a 7 min/mile pace. The Boston Marathon was held this past Monday, and when looking at the qualifying times for 2013 I noticed they had made them harder. For my age group, in order to qualify for the Boston Marathon I have to run another marathon in 3 hours, 5 minutes. That is just over a 7:03 min/mile pace. Interesting enough, the winner of this year's Boston Marathon completed the race in 2 hours, 3 minutes, 2 seconds. That equates to an average pace of 4:41 min/mile. It's insane, and I can't fathom running one mile at that speed let alone 26 of them. Interestingly enough, there is quite a bit of controversy right now regarding his finishing time. It's the fastest time ever recorded for a marathon, but it might never be considered a world record. You can read more information on it HERE.

As for me, I'm not looking to set any records...I'm just trying to get a little faster.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, but for that much money, i still think you need to try harder ;) xoxo mwah!

    ReplyDelete