1200 in 2011

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Running in Hawaii (and relaxing, and hiking, and eating)


As previously promised, here is my blog entry about my very brief (but very nice stay in Hawaii). I got there on Friday evening, and didn't have any plans until Monday, so I decided to make the most of the weekend and do some of the "must sees". TripAdvisor.com has Diamond Head listed as the #1 thing to do, so that was my first stop.

It actually took me awhile to find the place b/c I didn't realize the full name was "Diamond Head Crater" (directly behind me), but once I realized that just about every car was headed in the same direction, it was easy to find, and an easy climb. The view was great, but it was just the beginning.

On to the "challenging hikes", I decided to do KoKo head crater, partly because it was highly recommended on Trip Advisor, partly because all the comments talked about how challenging it was, and lastly because again the view was supposed to be amazing. All three of those statements turned out to be 100% correct.


This was the view that greeted me from the bottom of KoKo Head. The "stairs" are actually railroad ties from when the U.S. Army had a radio station at the top. The total elevation change was about 1200 feet, though the horizontal distance was less than 1/2 mile. In other words it was VERY STEEP.

Still, once I finally made it to the top (soaked in sweat), the view was totally worth it. The climb down was also challenging, but again, it was an incredible hike (and a great workout).

My last hiking adventure was to Manoa Falls, a far easier hike than KoKo Head. The trail ends at the base of a 100 foot waterfall.

Not quite as "breath taking" as KoKo Head (both figuratively and literally), but still a great hike.

Oh yeah, I also managed to do some running while in Hawaii. Of course, I didn't have my GPS and there were no marked courses, so I had to estimate my distance. Still I felt really good, and kept a good pace, so I think the distances are fairly accurate. I only managed two runs for the week, but with the hikes, I'd say it was a good week.

My totals for Week 32 (8-14 Aug) were:
Total Miles: 12.2 (estimated distance)
Total Runs Logged: 2
Total Time Spent Running: 1 hour, 31 minutes, 43 seconds
Average Pace: 7:31 (min/mile)

With the addition of Week 32, my new "as of" totals are:
Total Miles: 147.1
Total Runs Logged: 29
Total Time Spent Running:19 hours, 39 minutes, 12 seconds
Average Pace: 8:00 (min/mile)

That brings mile total mileage of the year to 895.4

Hawaii is a beautiful state, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The weather was perfect, the food was AMAZING, and the views were incredible. If I ever find myself there again, I would consider myself very fortunate. I snapped this last pic as I was leaving Waikiki after a very delicious dinner on the beach.

1 comment:

  1. well darn, if i knew you were on vacation, i would have joined you!! :D

    ReplyDelete