1200 in 2011

Sunday, October 23, 2011

1200 MILES!!

So in addition to loading ships, and observing the Filipino version of "safety in the workplace", I've also managed to do some running. In the past three weeks, I logged just over 90 miles. As mentioned earlier, while in Subic, the running shoes I had with me fell apart, which significantly reduced the running I did during the last part of Week 40, and all of Week 41 (I was in Subic for 10 days, and my shoes crapped out on me on the 3rd day). Undeterred, and determined to get my mileage back on track I really picked it up in Week 42. The end result: I met my goal for the year, 70 days ahead of my original schedule. Here's a break down of the past three weeks of running.

Knowing full well, that I would have a hard time running in Subic, in the days leading up to my departure, I made sure to get on the treadmill everyday, and log at least 6 miles. My totals for Week 40 (3-9 October) were:

Total Runs Logged: 4
Total Miles: 24.8
Total Time Spent Running: 3 hours, 2 minutes, 27 seconds
Average Pace: 7:21 (min/mile)

It was a little short of my weekly goal, but entering the next week I was determined to make it up and then some. This became extremely difficult to do in my Vibram's 5-Fingers. While I love wearing them, if I don't wear them with special 5-toed socks, then they tend to rub my feet. Well, I forgot to bring my socks with me to Subic, but decided to run in them anyway. Anticipating some blisters, I hit the road. By mile 5, I was hurting, and decided to wait until I returned to Zamboanga to continue running. I ended up with much less than I wanted, but better to protect my feet. My totals for Week 41 (10-16 October) were:

Total Runs Logged: 2
Total Miles: 13.6
Total Time Spent Running: 1 hour, 43 minutes, 32 seconds
Average Pace: 7:36 (min/mile)

Undeterred by two less than stellar weeks, but rather determined to get my mileage back on track, I went after it this past week. I actually switched up my running time too which I think helped some. Rather than run in the morning when I first wake up, I do my strength training in the AM. In the evenings, after dinner is when I run. This gives me a little more time to run, and although I'm usually tired by the time I go run, I'm still able to find the motivation. Knowing that my goal was to make up for my lost mileage this week, I decided to slow my pace down just a bit. The last thing I wanted to do was burn out by Tuesday or Wednesday, and not have the strength to finish the week. The slower pace (and determination to run every week) really paid off. I logged more miles this week, than any other week this year. My totals for Week 42 (17-23 October) were:

Total Runs Logged: 7
Total Miles: 52.2
Total Time Spent Running: 6 hours, 40 minutes, 2 seconds
Average Pace: 7:39 (min/mile)

My totals from 4 July to 23 October are:
Total Runs Logged: 81
Total Miles: 464.1
Total Time Spent Running: 58 hours, 45 minutes, 24 seconds
Average Pace: 7:35 (min/mile)

With that, on October 22nd, the 295th day of 2011, I competed what I set out to do on January 1st by the end of the year...I ran my 1,200th mile! My total mileage to date is now: 1,212.4!

Despite 1200 miles down, and the initial purpose of this blog complete, I'm not done yet. 10 weeks remain in the year, and I have nearly 300 more miles to go to reach my NEW goal of 1500. If I kept up the 50 miles weeks, I would be done before Christmas, but I know that is both unrealistic, and probably not great for my body. As long as I continue to strive for about 30 miles a week (just over 7 miles a day), I'll get to 1500 before 2012. The end is almost in sight; I just need to keep up the steady pace.

1 comment: