1200 in 2011

Friday, January 7, 2011

The Stick-N-Back Triathlon (JUST DO IT)

In my last blog I mentioned that if you're living on Guam and will be on the island January 16th, then you need to complete the Stick-N-Back Super Sprint Triathlon. Just a year ago it was my very first triathlon, and I loved it. If you've ever thought (even briefly) about doing a triathlon, then this is the one for you. If you're looking at spicing up your New Year's resolution to "get in shape", this is a great way to do that too. There is no training required. It's called a "Super Sprint" for a reason; it's super short. There is a 200M swim; a 10K bike ride, and a 4K run. If it's anything like last year, there will be about 160 participants, and of those, only 5-10 will be competitive triathletes. Everyone else will be there to "just do it". There are no prizes for coming in first, everyone gets the same t-shirt (it was a sweet shirt last year).


Like I said, there's no training required. You don't even need to sign up early for it. Kevin and I didn't, so we ended up being the last people to be registered for the race (#160 and #161). That being said, I'd recommend registering for it (though it's definitely not mandatory).


You can see in the picture above and the one below of me crossing the finishing line that I had on fancy "triathlon shorts". I also have a road bike, but that is certainly not a requirement. A lot of the people out there will be swimming/biking/running in whatever swim trunks they have. The same goes for a bike, and you'll see everything from expensive triathlon bikes to "cheap-o" bikes. The only requirement is that it have two wheels and pedals.
So there you have it. The "Stick-N-Back" is a great way to get a little taste of triathlons. If you don't live on Guam, Google the city you live in and "triathlon". I'm fairly confident you'll find a triathlon club, and I'm willing to bet they'll have a "Super Sprint Tri" that they'll offer this year. I know that if you're in the panhandle of Florida, Eglin AFB does "My First Tri" in June. If you do it and love, you've found a great new hobby. If you do it, and aren't thrilled about triathlons, at least you did a triathlon. Check out this website (conveniently called Beginner Triathlete) for more details on training for (if you insist) and finishing your first triathlon.
Okay, back to running. I was able to knock out 3.1 miles before PT and 1 mile after PT on Thursday. Today I was able to do 9.1 miles which included 4.1 miles pre/post PT and a five-miler for PT (including about 2 miles of trail running). The trail running slowed me down quite a bit, but it was a nice doing a different run, and the view of the ocean was really incredible too.
With the 9 miles today, that puts me at 25 for the week. That means that I don't have to run this weekend, but I probably will do it anyway. I've heard it's beneficial to my health.
Until my next entry, just keep running.

No comments:

Post a Comment